Sunday, December 30, 2012

I wonder if the jackrabbit gives birth in the different nests, or if she gives birth in one location, then carries some of the infants to the other nests. The jackrabbit post got me to thinking about other critters in our neighborhood. Every once in a while, especially at dusk in the summer, we'd see a tarantula crossing the street. Tarantulas have a scary reputation, but they were few and slow-moving and stayed outdoors. Not very threatening, but they were about 3 inches long - including eight impressive hairy legs! Also, I heard - not sure if it's true - that tarantulas can't easily bite a human. Their bite is designed to stun edible prey closer to their own size. One mild sunny morning, a tarantula was in my path. I looked closely. More than a hundred tiny spiders - perhaps her young? - were riding on her back as she crossed the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment