Thursday, September 26, 2013

John Lennon's drawings


in the 1990s, I was waiting, waiting in a parking lot, and as I waited, I discovered a small art gallery. I walked in. There was a traveling exhibit of John Lennon's artwork. I knew that, in addition to his gifts as a musician, he had been recognized as a visual artist, but had never seen anything of his up close before. I was surprised to discover, just by chance, so many pieces of his work in the middle of Austin, Texas in a narrow, nondescript location.

What I now recall is that they were mostly of black ink on white paper, simple line drawings. There was a repeated theme, he and his wife Yoko Ono in a large platform bed, sitting side by side. It was as though this were the most pressing subject he could convey.

No comments:

Post a Comment