Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I. I am the Lord thy God - thou shalt worship no other god before me.
II. Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain.
III. Thou shalt keep holy the Sabbath day.
IV. Honor thy father and thy mother.
V. Thou shalt not kill.
VI. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
VII. Thou shalt not steal.
VIII. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
IX. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.
X. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods.

The ten commandments are the fundamental code of ethics in Judaic-Christian cultures, and, I understand, are also to be found in similar form in Islamic and other cultures as well as in ancient societies. The list above is partly from memory from my Catholic childhood in the 1960s. There are many variations in English wording. The internet search I attempted was surprisingly muddled.

I just wanted to look at them again and ponder, from within and without a religious perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment