Monday, February 18, 2013

I saw a sign today that read: Try our Lenten Menu! Enjoy our Hamburger Steak!

Roman Catholics in central Louisiana in the 1960s did not eat meat on Fridays - and especially during Lent. Schools and restaurants made sure seafood dishes were available on Fridays. (A dear Protestant friend from the northwest told me that's why his crowd called us Mackerel Snappers.)

During Lent, you gave up more than meat, say candy, or alcohol. I wasn't good at giving up candy for more than a day or two (and, as a kid, I wasn't consuming alcohol except for the infrequent teaspoon of Robitussin for coughs), so I tried practices that I was more likely to succeed at. Washing my face each day with cold water. Sleeping without a pillow. (These two proved useful when as an adult I started going camping.) Saying a special prayer every day.

I wonder how many people have ever played the harmonica every day for Lent? Late getting started; I only thought of this today.

I'll understand if God wants to put cotton in His ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment