Monday, November 25, 2013

Loretta

one of my favorite neighbors ever was a little brown mutt named Loretta who lived near the entrance to our rural neighborhood. She was a happy dog, and catapulted out of her yard to meet me whenever I walked by. Though she had plenty of space to explore with little objection to her freedom, she tended to mostly mind the front steps, coming out to sniff the butterflies, garter snakes and Mexican hats.

We both left the area around the same time, but I remember her now and again. Just a single little neighbor offered a sense of well-being, warmth and welcome to our little bit of the earth. 'Loretta, Loretta - where ya been so long?'

2 comments:

  1. caterpulted
    Caterwauling and catapulted? Great new word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. odd that you should note that. I'd corrected my spelling error and somehow it didn't make it to the blog post.

    ReplyDelete