Monday, July 29, 2013

At some point, you come to realize the labels we use aren't always accurate, and we miss the truth because we have certain things categorized and neatly filed away in the wrong drawer.

For years, I've bought bird food and enjoyed watching who showed up at the feeders. Back in Hays County, Texas - goldfinches, cardinals, scrub jays, chipping sparrows, golden-fronted woodpeckers were frequent visitors - and occasionally there might be a painted bunting. But then there were moments I'd holler out - there's a squirrel eating the bird seed! And one of us would go outside and wave our arms or toss a stick in the direction of the feeder until the squirrel would exit with hurt feelings.

I can't believe how long it took me to get past the label 'bird food'. The bag contained sunflower and other seeds, peanuts, kernels of dried corn, bits of dried fruit. Ahem. Squirrel food! (Mouse food! Horse food! People food! etc.)

Speaking of nuts, I remember sitting at picnic tables as a kid and as an adult while squirrels up above tossed one brown pine cone tab after another at my head as they dug out the nuts. Yesterday, for the umpteenth time this month, I passed under a pine tree where on the ground there were half-chewed pine cones that had never reached enough maturity to produce pine nuts. These cones were hard and green. The thought of trying to digest something like that gave me pangs in the gut. Why would a squirrel be trying to eat something that's not near ready yet?

So I've been thinking of the squirrels. I'm thankful for all the pecan trees and oak trees the squirrels have planted across the millennia, carefully burying nuts and acorns. Now when I see the skinny little squirrel that swings and sways in the 'birdfeeder' box hanging from the tree limb, I just nod my head and say, enjoy.

writing from Lafayette, Louisiana -

No comments:

Post a Comment