Wednesday, July 17, 2013

life in the 21st century

there was ice in my diet coke
and I had some in my mouth
my teeth were crunching ice
i long ago gave up that habit
and reminded my teeth
teeth,
let it go
but my teeth kept chomping up and down
upon the ice

a caregiver
told me of some items dad needs
to care for his feet
and I heard her, and I saw her write the items on a list
but no movement entered my body
no thought to get these things came through
even though obviously
this was my job to do

we were chatting
at the dinner table
and I mentioned east of Houston
though I meant to say west of Houston
and I started to self-correct
but blew on forward with the conversation
and proceeded to say
east of Houston
two more times...
or was it west of Houston

I was lying on my bed
in the mid-afternoon and I wanted to get up
but that seemed to make no difference
the back of my legs pasted against the covers
and I smiled because apparently I didn't care
apparently I wanted to spend half the afternoon on top of the bedclothes
then, someone passed through my mind
and I blinked and flew up and out of the bed
and watered the tomato plants in the back yard

these things are happening to many

No comments:

Post a Comment