Monday, June 17, 2013

Musicians & Whales




'Sittin on the Dock of the Bay' - Otis Redding
'Papa Was a Rolling Stone' - The Temptations
'Thick as a Brick' - Jethro Tull
'Only Living Boy in New York' - Simon and Garfunkel
'Listening Wind' - Talking Heads
'Overload' - Talking Heads

Several times a week, I go exploring on YouTube.com. Today, I listened to the above songs.

Some days I listen better than others, and today it seemed I could hear the whole of the recording, and simultaneously, I could hear each separate instrument and voice that went into the recording. Sometimes, like many people do these days, I'll listen to the same song several times over. I have a past history of doing that with the last three on this list.

Listening today then lead to a search to hear the vocalizations of whales, which I found on YouTube and also via Wikipedia. Perhaps a year ago, whales started surfacing in my art work without conscious intention on my part, and i came to understand that in some way whales permeate our existence. Today, I could hear their call filtering through the music these musicians made.

No comments:

Post a Comment