Wednesday, June 26, 2013

surfing

I've been surfing the web in the wee hours of the morning, hoping for something to go, aha! here's a word, thought, experience that will trigger a bit of writing for the blog.

I started by researching the term Newsweek. The first magazine I ever subscribed to once I was living away from my childhood home was Newsweek. Coming from a family that subscribed to US News and World Report, Newsweek was a visual and visceral delight. For a while in the 1970s, I saved many of the issues in my little grad school dorm room until I realized how impractical it was weight-wise for someone who had yet to settle down to try moving boxes of Newsweeks around with me. Today, it occurred to me I haven't read a Newsweek in awhile, and that I'm curious about things like what's coming up on Broadway, which I used to like to read about even though I've never been within a stone's throw of Broadway.

After reading on Wiki about Newsweek's peculiar last years as a print magazine, I looked up rooster, but came first across a video of Haystack Rock on the Pacific coast with the tide going out. After I watched the video of a beach without waves, I read up on roosters. That lead to a search regarding Easter chicks - as the only rooster I ever owned had his start in life as a tiny fluffy gift from the Easter Bunny. Were all Easter chicks male, with farmers keeping the females who had an egg-laying future? After finding links to confections and movies with the word 'Chicks' in it, I've come to realize life has become way too surreal to confidently and comfortably read, much less write, about anything tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment