Sunday, April 7, 2013

It started here. I looked up the artist Wassily Kandinsky, a master of abstract composition, via the internet this morning, and came upon awkward, muddied images instead of the lovely whimsy he created on canvas with paint. I tried to give feedback to one of the generally reliable, well-intentioned sites. I got into a kind of loop where I was directed to point A, which directed me to point B, which redirected me to Point A, which directed me to point B.

For several years on the internet, I've run into doctored information, pictures, identities, missing famous artists, but the problem now is on a grander, more pervasive, culture-altering scale.

One part of the solution would be to seek information the 'old-fashioned' way, such as through books, libraries, museums. Unfortunately, the same problem exists outside of the internet as well as in. I've met libraries, new and old, in the United States with oddly limited and amended selections, and whose books have been brazenly altered. The books in my own collection have disappeared or been seriously tampered with, including classic children's books. The museums I have most recently visited are violated - works dated in the 1600s show obvious signs of having been painted recently, museum store books of Chihuly's works and about van Gogh are filled with images of awkward, somewhat offensive art. I'm familiar enough with these artists to know these are not their works.

It's a kind of apocalyptic messing with our collective soul.

My intention this morning is to continue going back, continue showing up at my favorite book stores and museums. I can calmly report concerns as they arise. I can occupy a library.

No comments:

Post a Comment