Monday, April 15, 2013

Okay-dee. Back to the intimate details of knitting. Today, I worked a bit on a long-term scarf project, simple, straightforward, mostly one color, row after row of identical stitches, hut-two-three-four. A more perfectionist type person might appreciate it for its careful continuum of the original plan with few deviations.

However, today being Tax Day, and other pressures in the works, I made a boo-boo in the middle of a row - not terrible - but an obvious little awkward change, a bulge, a slight opening. It drew the eye. Ooops! error.

So. With the experience earlier this week of 'the same mistake over and over' scarf still in mind, I decided this time I'd stop, back up, repair the problem.

I had to back up several rows to get to the spot, which was easy to fix once I was there. But! it was kind of scary. I pulled the yarn, and the rows quickly unraveled - one steady pull! I could have taken apart five feet of scarf - the whole creation - in a blink.

I mentioned in the earlier post this week that dismantling 'the same mistake over and over' scarf was taking longer than I'd hoped. Well, I never did finish the dismantling. I still have half the scarf. Even though gaping holes were evolving in the thing, it was not easy to dismantle. Its framework is strong, and insistent on survival.

So though it might look scruffy, holy and ratty, it hangs together. It's still here. More integrity than I realized.

I suppose I could come up with some sort of sum-it-up platitude, but I won't. Just finding pleasure in the knitting.

(thank you, Carol....).

No comments:

Post a Comment