Sunday, April 14, 2013

I've hardly begun unraveling the scarf, and lightning has begun to flicker through the blinds. Thunder is fiercely grumbling.

There are so many of them, I sometimes name the scarves I knit. There are the banana tree scarves, and there is the cloud scarf. There is the voodoo scarf, and the mouse scarf. There are several scarves I call 'rugged start', and they tend to come out pretty handsomely. Then, one night, I went all out. I knitted the scarf called 'the same mistake over and over'. Early on, I could tell I'd done something wrong, but decided to see if I could turn the mistake into a triumph. I repeated the mistake, and repeated the mistake. The result was rather beautiful, a good yarn with a pattern of soft little tufts that had been entirely unplanned. However, after I was finished binding off, I soon discovered the scarf lacked integrity. A tug here and there, and a gaping hole appeared, and another.

I tried to find a way to knit onto it, to repair it, but I'm not that advanced in my skills. So finally, tonight, I decided to disassemble the thing, first time ever. It's not taking as long as it took to assemble, but it's taking longer than I hoped. And the thunder continues to be loud and crackling.

No comments:

Post a Comment