Monday, August 12, 2013

breathe in, breathe out

Running is not so much about the strength in your legs as it is about breathing. Our Physical Ed teacher in high school taught us that some experts recommended the count of a runner's breathing out should be slightly longer than the count for breathing in, for example, three counts in, four or five counts out. That was a tricky procedure for a first time track team runner, and I can't say that I got it right. However, as I picked up long distance jogging later in life, I did learn to consciously use that technique from time to time. What has been most helpful over the years has been simple awareness of the breath, and changing up the pattern a bit when fatigued during a run.

Mostly, though, when running I try to think like a migrating fish, or a bird flying long distance. Don't think at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment