Friday, August 16, 2013

kids' books

one of the gifts of parenting is that one is continually introduced, or permitted to return to, the wonderful stories and books in the realm of childhood literature. The books for the younger kids are accompanied by glorious sometimes hilarious illustrations, with new little details to discover each time you read the book aloud to your youngster. (Because your youngsters will insist that you read their favorites over and over and over again.)

We then come up with the brilliant understanding that, hey, we can return to our own favorite books, including adult books, and read them again and again should we desire.

And I've come to discover, even though my kids are no longer little and there are none about, I can still read children's stories should I want to. Wandering in the Lafayette Public Library downtown a few weeks ago, I discovered 'The Twins' Blanket', a picture book by Hyewon Yum. I was spellbound by the simple prose, its calming everyday story, and the flowing colors of fine artwork. Since then, I've checked out several kids' books. They're easy on the stressed soul and that's good.

Here's the blog that got me thinking today about kids' books: Good Books for Young Souls

http://goodbooksforyoungsouls.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment