Sunday, August 25, 2013

tomatoes and okra

in the spring, i planted four tomato plants and a couple of okras in the same little plot of land. The tomatoes took off. They grew big and wild and rambling. The okra plants looked limp and didn't grow and then, I couldn't find them at all.

a few days ago, i pruned back the tomatoes which were about done producing, and there in a now open spot was a small okra plant with one okra on the top about four inches long, brown and dried out. The okra had survived! I trimmed off the woody okra, and within days, another grew, and today, it was firm, bright green, and maybe even a little over grown. But I carried it inside anyway. Tonight, I washed it and except for about half an inch, I cut it up very thinly and added it to the onions, celery and bell pepper I was sauteing for red beans. As it was cooking, I spooned a sliver of okra out and ate it and it was good. I put the half inch I hadn't cooked into the compost bowl. Laden with seeds, who knows what might become of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment